I am the director of undergraduate studies (curriculum and students) for the Vancouver School of Economics. This means that I work with the undergraduate director (faculty and academic) (Dr Mauricio Drelichman), the school director (Dr Kevin Milligan), and our staff to support students who are majoring (or minoring!) in economics or are interested in majoring (or minoring!) in economics. This means that you don’t have to be in economics to ask my advice!
My role is specifically to help students with their economics courses in their minor or major, including admissions – it’s not for more general degree planning (which is the role of Arts Academic Advising). Here are some examples of the kinds of questions that I am able to help with:
- What courses should I take if I want to get into the economics major?
- I’m interested in a specific topic – what kinds of classes should I look for?
- What are the admission requirements for the major this year?
- What kinds of courses should I be taking if I want to go to graduate school?
- How do I get involved in economics research as an undergraduate?
- I have a problem in a class; what do I do?
- What can I do with a degree in economics?
If you’re not sure if I’m the right person to ask, feel free to ask me anyways – I will point you in the right direction if you’re not contacting the correct person. There are some questions we get very frequently – you should make sure you check out our Frequently Asked Questions before contacting me!
You can also find some other advice and resources here, on my webpage:
Support and Services
I answer questions either via email or you can schedule a meeting with me – see below for contact information. I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability – occasionally, I may need extra information or will need to schedule a follow-up meeting. In some situations, I will refer your issue to the undergraduate director if it’s something that I do not have the authority to deal with – however, I will perform a preliminary investigation of the issue, and provide a recommendation.
Contact and Scheduling
- If you would like to schedule a meeting with me, email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time. My normally scheduled office hours are on Thursdays from 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM.
- If you have a question which can be answered via email, email me at email@example.com with the following:
- Your name, student number, major and year (if you don’t have a major, say “undeclared”)
- A short description of the question or issue
- Any supplemental documents (e.g. unofficial transcripts) necessary
- Include [Majors Advice] in the subject line of your email
(Last updated: 28-01-2022)